Occupational Therapy FAQs

What is a typical day like?

Most classes are offered Monday-Thursday between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:30 pm. Continued service and learning, clinical opportunities, and research experiences frequently occur on Friday.

How do I submit proof of meeting provisional acceptance requirements?

Some students are accepted even though we are still waiting on items such as final course grades, proof of observations, etc… If you were accepted under provisional circumstances, please submit proof of meeting any missing requirements to OTCAS. Students must have all pre-requisite courses completed before entering the program. 

Rockhurst University will require the following materials upon completion:

  • Official transcript with undergraduate degree awarded and date conferred.
  • Official transcript(s) showing completion of pre-requisite course(s) not reported to OTCAS (i.e., courses taken spring semester before entering the program).
  • Other transcripts reported to OTCAS will be downloaded by the Graduate Admissions Office.

Transcripts can be mailed to Rockhurst University, CHHS Graduate Admissions Office, 1100 Rockhill Road, Kansas City, MO 64110.

How do I find housing/roommate?

For those who may be searching for a place to live or a roommate, we can offer some options.

  • Rockhurst University housing. Visit the resident life website at RU Resident Life.
  • Facebook Group. The Graduate Admissions Office will provide you a link to a Facebook Group that will connect you to your cohort class and upper classes. This is a great way to seek roommates and information on various living complexes throughout the Greater Kansas City Area. 

Is there a laptop requirement?

We require all students to have a laptop computer for use throughout the MOT curriculum. The computer will be used in some lecture and laboratory sessions on campus and allow you greater ease of obtaining electronic data required of the faculty. You will be required to install anti-virus software and a program that ensures that your computer is safe to connect to the network each time you turn it on. This software will be provided for you at no charge by Rockhurst Computer Services. 

Do I need health insurance?

All MOT students are required to submit proof of health insurance. Rockhurst University offers insurance for students or you can have an external plan.   

What is the cost of the MOT program?

Students are eligible to borrow enough money each year to cover their total cost of education.  This is the sum of tuition and fees plus books, room and board, and living expenses.

How do I apply for financial aid?

We encourage you to get this process started as soon as possible. While you may apply anytime, certain available funds may be depleted prior to deadline dates. You may complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please note Rockhurst University’s Federal School Code is 002499. You may contact the Rockhurst University Financial Aid Office to assist you in your application process at 816-501-4831 or 1-800-842-6776. In addition to federal funds, we provide information on various scholarships and sources of financial aid on our website.

What books and supplies do I need?

The Department of Occupational Therapy has streamlined the number of required textbooks so your cost is kept to a minimum by creating a book bundle for the first and second year in the program. You will use the same book in many classes and we ask that you keep all books throughout the duration of the MOT program. Rockhurst University's bookstore has information on books and supplies. Information on ordering, cost, billing, and pick-up dates will be made available to new students following their acceptance into the program.

Do I need to be a member of AOTA?

We require all students to join AOTA. AOTA membership allows you access to subscriptions, continuing education, professional resources and discussions which are referenced in many MOT courses.

How do I arrange accommodations?

Rockhurst University is committed to providing equal access for all qualified students. If you are a student in need of accommodations, contact the Access Office for information about how to request accommodations.