Tax Information

The International Student Advisor is not  an expert on international tax matters.  The International Student Advisors do not assist in the completion of individual income tax forms, and are unable to explain tax liability issues to international students, scholars or staff.

Therefore, we recommend that you consult the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or a qualified tax consultant regarding your possible U.S. tax obligations or attend a tax workshop. The following information is provided to help international students obtain the information they need so that they can make informed choices about their tax obligations.

The IRS publishes a number of helpful information/instruction booklets, which are available through the IRS Tax Payer Assistance Service (toll free 1.800.829.3676). Forms are available at most local public libraries or on-line at IRS Tax Information on Foreign Student and Scholars.

Windstar Technologies, Inc. provides information on more than 50 international tax treaties in an easy to read format. 

*All F-1 students on RU I-20's MUST file an 8843.  Those F-1 students on RU I-20's who have been employed in the past year are required to file the appropriate state and federal tax forms.