Financial Arrangements and Employment

It is important that you review all cost estimates listed on your Rockhurst I-20. These estimates are the minimum projections in most cases; actual costs will vary according to your lifestyle.

Do not expect or depend on financial aid or part-time employment to meet your educational expenses.

On-campus employment is competitive and is not guaranteed and oftentimes is minimum wage payment.

On-campus positions are available in:

  • Grounds Crew
  • Bookstore
  • Dining Services
  • RICOH Copy Cave and Post Office (print services)
  • Learning Center (must be recommended by faculty)
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT): Undergraduate students in their second year of study may be eligible for CPT and should consult with the PDSO for approval. 

Graduate students are NOT eligible for CPT at Rockhurst. See resource list on page 15 for contact information.

Payment of Fees

Please consult with the manager of student accounts to discuss payment of fees.

Financial Aid & Employment

  • University funded financial aid is limited and the aid that does exist is exclusively for undergraduate students.
  • Working off-campus without permission from immigration or the PDSO is illegal for F-1 students. U.S. immigration law prohibits all U.S. employers from hiring anyone who does not have a verifiable, legal permission for employment, and international students cannot apply for such employment permission until they have completed one full academic year of study in the degree field (not including English as a second language).

Tax Reporting Requirements for International Students

All international students who were present in the U.S. for any duration of time in the previous calendar year are required to file tax returns, regardless of whether they worked or not. The deadline to file tax returns to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is April 15 (postmarked) every year. 

Many students have gone to the locations below. You many need to make an appointment to discover what days the resources will be on location. These locations are not tax preparation places, however tax preparers come and provide tax preparation. Remember to ask them what you need to bring before you arrive. We encourage you to make arrangements as soon as possible. Many times it can be difficult to get an appointment immediately. Please plan ahead. Below are locations that offer free tax assistance to those who make less than 57K per year. 

UMKC Bloch School
5110 Cherry St. Room 5 Kansas City, MO 64110 816-474-5112

Kansas City Public Library: Trails West Branch
11401 E. 23rd St. Independence MO, 64052 816-701-3483

Kansas City Public Library: North-East Branch
6000 Wilson Rd. Kansas City, MO 64123 816-701-3485

Kansas City Public Library: Central Branch
14 W. 10th St. Kansas City, MO 64105 816-701-3433

Kansas City Public Library: Plaza Branch
4801 Main St. Kansas City, MO 64112 816-701-3481

Metropolitan Community College – Penn Valley
3201 SW Trfwy. Learning Resource Rm. 204 Kansas City, MO 64127 816-604-4050, 816-474-5112

AIM – Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church
2310 E. Linwood Blvd. Kansas City, MO 64109 816-923-3689

IRS in Kansas City in Union Station
30 W. Pershing Rd. Kansas City, MO 64108

IRS in Independence
3730 S. Elizabeth St. Independence, MO 64057


You may work up to 20 hours per week for Rockhurst University in any job on campus, including the bookstore or food service. Before starting your job, however, you must consult Human Resources and the International Student Advisor.

US Social Security Number
In the United States a Social Security number (SSN) is a 9-digit number issued to citizens and eligible non-citizens.  Its primary purpose is to track individuals for taxation purposes.  A Social Security number is important because you need it to get a job on campus and off campus.  Many other businesses, such as cell phone companies, banks and credit companies, also ask for your SSN.  You can not apply for a SSN until you have a job offer and an employer cannot pay you until you provide them with your SSN.

To apply for a SSN, bring the following documents to the Social Security Office, located at 6320 Euclid Ave., Kansas City, Mo. 64132:

  •   A letter from your employer, on company letterhead, indicating the job title, work hours, start date and rate of pay.
  •   A letter from the International Student Advisor confirming your eligibility to work.
  •   Your passport and visa.
  •   Your SEVIS 1-20.

The SSN application, can be downloaded online from:  Social Security Forms

Missouri Driver's License
When you apply for a Missouri driver's license, state Id card or instruction permit you must have documentation to prove your lawful presence in the United States, identity and place of residence.  
For more information about obtaining a Missouri driver's license, please consult the Missouri Driver's License Guide.  In order to obtain a Missouri driver's license, you must take a four-part test:

  •   Written Test on Traffic laws and rules for safe driving
  •   Vision test
  •   Road sign test
  •   Driving test

If you are in a non-immigrant visa status, you will receive your license by mail four to six weeks after successfully completing the required tests.

Documentation required for Missouri driver's license, state ID card or instruction permit
1.  Proof of lawful presence
 *F-1 students must provide the following:

  •  Passport
  •  I-94
  •  Visa
  •  I-20
  •  Certification of enrollment*

*Certification of enrollment - Request a "Letter in Good Standing" from the International Student Advisor.  Please note that the letter must be current when making your application (dated within the past 30 days).

2.  Proof of identity

  •  Provide Social Security number if you have received one.
  •  If you do not have a SSN, contact the Social Security Administration to receive a letter verifying that you are not eligible for one.

3. Proof of residency (provide one of the following)

  •  Utility bill (most recent).
  •  Bank statement (most recent).
  •  Pay stub (most recent).
  •  Housing/rental contract of current residence.
  •  Official letter/document from another state or local government agency, on the agency's letterhead or containing the official seal of that agency, issued with the last 30 days.
  •  Other government document that contains your name and address, issued within the last 30 days.

To take the required tests, go to the testing office, which is located at Missouri State Building: 615 E. 13th Street, Room G1.  Test hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Once you have passed the test, you will go to the Independence Licensing Services Office at 16643 Est 23rd Street, Independence, MO 64055.  Office hours are Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.; Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1p.m.  Driver's License Fees

As an F-1 student, you are not allowed to work off-campus unless authorized by the International Student Advisor.  Off-campus employment is authorized by the Internation Student Advisor under extreme financial hardship caused by unforeseen circumstance beyond the student's control (Authorization comes from the USCIS upon recommendation from school).  Examples of this situation are, a severe devaluation in the currency of a student's home country, substantial increases in the cost of tuition and cost of living or medical bills.  Off-Campus authorized employment based on severe economic hardship is possible only after the student has been in proper status for a least one full academic year.  In addition, there are other conditions to be met and eligibility is determined by the International Student Advisor. 

Any other kind of off campus employment like hotels, motels, gas stations, liquor stores, etc. is illegal.  If caught in a raid or by any person, deportation or problems during future immigration related work authorization like H1b, Green Card, Visa Stamping, etc. could be a possibility. F-1 students should not engage in such employment which is risky and/or illegal.

Hours of Employment/Application Form with USCIS
All employment, whether on or off-campus, must not exceed a total of 20 hours per week while school is in session. During official breaks and holidays of more than one week in duration, you may work up to 40 hours per week. You must make an application (I-765 form) and be granted written authorization by the USCIS before beginning employment.  The filing fee for form I-765 is $380.

Practical Training Employment
"Practical training" is work which is directly related to your field of study. Students that have complied with F-1 visa requirements may be eligible for two types of training: (1) "curricular practical training" during your studies and (2) "optional practical training" before or after completion of your studies. Such work may be performed anywhere in the U.S.

Holidays and Vacations
You may remain in the U.S. and be considered to be maintaining lawful F-1 status during holidays and vacation periods observed by Rockhurst, including summer vacations, provided 1) you are eligible and intend to register for the next school term (or the term immediately following a summer vacation), and 2) the "completion of studies" date in item #5 of your I-20 will not be reached before you resume your studies. 

University Break Housing Policy:  In the interest of security, staffing and energy conservation, residence hall facilities may close during winter and spring breaks. THV and OCH will remain open. Failure to be out of the residence hall at the designated break closing time will result in a monetary fine.  Room payments do not cover closing periods, so a daily rate will be charged for any break housing. Students desiring to stay over breaks must register with the Office of Residence Life, Massman 4.  Failure to register to remain over a break period by the stated deadline may result in a surcharge added to the cost of the break housing charge, or denial due to lack of space or staffing. 

Food Service during Break Housing:  There is generally no food service offered during fall, Thanksgiving, winter, Easter or spring break.  If food service is offered hours and eating locations are limited. Dining services will send an email outlining times of service and available dining location.  You may only use your flex points or declining balance points during break housing. Please use careful consideration in using your flex points or declining balance points during the semester so that you have balances available during break periods.


Within the U.S.
You may travel freely within the United States provided you maintain your lawful F-1 status and have your valid passport, I-20 in your possession.

Outside the U.S.
You may leave the U.S. at any time. You may return to the U.S. provided you have 1) a valid passport containing an unexpired F-1 visa and 2) a new I-20 or one properly endorsed for re-entry. If you travel to Canada, Mexico or certain islands near the U.S., you may be eligible to re-enter the U.S. even if the F-1 visa in your passport has expired, provided you have a valid passport and I-20 to show the immigration inspector when you re-enter. Check with the International Student Advisor 3 weeks before travel.

Returning to RU
Three weeks before departing the U.S., take your I-20 and passport to the International Student Advisor in the Student Development Office Massman 12 and request travel authorization. Please allow a minimum three-day processing time.

Returning to a Different School
You must obtain a new I-20 from your new school before you attempt to re-enter the U.S. Entering this country using an I-20 from a school you do not plan to immediately attend can cause serious immigration problems.

Length of Time You May Remain in the United States
You may study in your present educational program for the time allowed by Item #5 on your I-20. If you need additional time to complete your program and meet certain eligibility requirements, you may apply for an "extension" of your program 30 days before the completion date listed in Item #5.

Change of Study Program
If you complete one program and wish to continue your studies in another program at the same school, you are responsible to request a new I-20 which will reflect your new program of study. You must do this within 60 days of completion of your studies.

Coursework at a Different School
If you wish to obtain a degree or certificate from your current school, but want to take courses temporarily at a different school, you should consult with your International Student Advisor to determine if any special procedures must be followed to authorize this study.

Transfer to a different School
If you wish to cease study at RU and transfer to a different school, you must:

  • consult with an International Student Advisor before you transfer,
  • obtain a new I-20 from the school you wish to attend, and
  • submit the new I-20 to the international student services office at your new school within 15 days of beginning attendance at the new school.

Completion of Degree Requirements
Upon completion of degree requirements, you may have the right to 1) continue studies at your same school or a different school for another degree or certificate, 2) apply for up to 12 months of "practical training" employment or 3) take up to sixty days to depart the U.S. See then International Student Advisor early in the semester to discuss your options.

Failure to Comply with Responsibilities
If you do not comply with your immigration responsibilities, regardless of intent, you may lose your student status and thus not be eligible for benefits normally granted to F-1 students.

Further Information
Additional information is available from the International Student Advisor. We are pleased to offer information, counseling and assistance on all federal regulations related to maintaining your student status, and we wish you much success in your academic pursuits.