Student FAQs

Rockhurst University is committed to providing equal opportunities for everyone. The Disability Resource Center coordinates services for students with disabilities and acts as an advocate to help make life on campus accessible.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I receive accommodations at Rockhurst University?

In order to receive accommodations at Rockhurst, students must be registered with the Disability Resource Center (DRC). All requests for accommodations are approved on a case-by-case basis by a DRC coordinator. Accommodations are individualized and determined using an interactive process between the coordinator and the student.

I don't have a formal diagnosis yet. What do I do?

The DRC needs medical documentation of a disability or condition before we can provide accommodations. In most cases, your primary healthcare provider will be able to diagnose you or refer you to someone else who can. Always remember to check with your insurance before going somewhere new or taking any tests/assessments.
Here is a list of places in the KC area that may be able to provide you with a diagnosis:
(Unfortunately, our Rockhurst counselors are unable to provide documentation for the DRC at this time)
Psychoeducational Assessments
Community Counseling and Assessment Services
UMKC, School of Education
615 E. 52nd Street Room 212
Kansas City, MO 64110
(816) 235-2725
KU Child & Family Services Clinic
2021 Dole Human Development Center
1000 Sunnyside Avenue
Lawrence, KS 66045
(785) 864-4416
KU Center for Psychoeducational Services
Joseph R. Pearson Hall Room 130
1122 West Campus Road
Lawrence, KS 66045
(785) 864‐7021
Midwest Neuroeducational Services
Avner Stern, Ph.D.
10100 W 87th Street Suite 306
Overland Park, Kansas 66212
(913) 601-7484
Tracy Ochester, Psy.D.
11100 Ash Street Suite 103
Leawood, KS 66211
(913) 735-5566
Karen M. Jordan, Ph.D.
(913) 647-7990
6720 W. 121st Street Suite 101
Overland Park, KS 66209
Barry McAnulty MSW, LCSW, LSCSW
(816) 554-0912
521 SE 2nd Street Suite C
Lee’s Summit, MO 64063
Neuropsychological Assessments
Community Counseling and Assessment Services
UMKC, School of Education
615 E. 52nd Street Room 212
Kansas City, MO 64110
(816) 235-2725
William T. Blessing, Ph.D.
1010 Carondelet Drive
Kansas City, MO 64114
(816) 590-3900
Psychiatrists for ADHD medications
Fernando Rosso, M.D.
8340 Mission Road
Prairie Village, KS 66206
(913) 642-0100
Gordon Risk, M.D.
8340 Mission Road, Suite 210
Prairie Village, KS 66206
(913) 642-0100
ADHD Coaching
Focal Point Coaching, LLC
Michelle Benton, ACG
Kay Grossman, MA, LLC
Overland Park, KS
(913) 451-6424

When am I able to register for accommodations?

Students can register with the DRC at any point during their academic career, but we strongly recommend that this process begin as early as possible. Students seeking academic accommodations are encouraged to complete registration prior to the start of a semester. If an incoming student is seeking accommodations related to housing, we encourage them to complete the application process before May 1. Returning students are encouraged to complete their application before February 1. Any housing accommodations requested after the deadlines may result in delays. 

How long does it take for accommodations to be approved?

Approval of accommodations is based upon a number of variables. Some reasons that may delay approval include improper documentation and possible outreach to other departments to determine the feasibility of certain accommodation requests, etc. Once an application and documentation are received, the DRC aims to begin the interactive process within five business days. 

When can I expect to receive my accommodation letter?

We do our best to provide your letter within two business days after a DRC coordinator has approved your accommodations. Letters are emailed directly to the student at the start of each semester. Students are responsible for providing their accommodation letter to all appropriate parties; this includes faculty. 

Can I add or adjust accommodations after my intake appointment?

If you find that your accommodations are not meeting your needs, you may set up another appointment with the DRC to discuss adjustments or additions. Please be aware that supplemental documentation may be necessary before additional accommodations are approved. The DRC also makes a point to check-in via email before the start each semester to make sure students are still comfortable with their current accommodations or if they no longer wish to use them. 

Do my accommodations stay with me throughout my time at Rockhurst?

In most cases, yes. If you need temporary accommodations, those are determined with the DRC coordinator and are revisited every so often to assess the need. Certain partnerships with other schools will require communication with their disability coordinator. We are happy to provide more information for these instances if they apply to you. 

Are accommodations retroactive?

No. Accommodations may only be used after they have been approved by a DRC coordinator. For example, if a student is approved to have extended time on tests partway through the semester, the accommodation will not apply to the tests taken prior to the approval. Put another way, the student will not be able to retake previous tests with the accommodation. This is why we encourage students to start the interactive process as early as possible. 

Who knows about my accommodations?

In most instances, the only way people will know about your accommodations is if you inform them. Notable exceptions are as follows:

  • Residence Life will be notified about accommodations including but not limited to: emotional support animals living on campus (for safety), reduced meal plans (for billing), specific room alterations (for maintenance), etc. 
  • Financial Aid and the Registrar will be notified about accommodations including but not limited to: reduced registration (for scholarships), primary/early registration, etc.
  • The Learning Resource Center will be notified about accommodations including but not limited to: extended time on testing, reduced distraction testing, etc.
  • Security will be notified about accommodations including but not limited to: emotional support animals living on campus (for safety), students with disorders that may require an emergency response (for safety), etc. 

If you have questions or concerns about this process, do not hesitate to ask the DRC for more information. 

What are temporary accommodations?

The DRC can provide time-limited assistance for a student in need of temporary services (such as a concussion, complications due to pregnancy, or a broken bone that affects the ability to write). The type of assistance is determined on a case-by-case basis and will be dependent upon documentation. The student should contact the DRC as soon as possible to make the request. The DRC may request updated documentation to determine the duration of services.

What is the DRC's procedure for filing a grievance?

If a student has a dispute with a Rockhurst administrator, faculty member, staff member or other employee relating to disability services, including any complaint that the student has been discriminated against because of his or her disability, the student may follow these procedures:

Students are encouraged, but not required, to make a sincere attempt to resolve the problem through discussions with the other party.

If the student is unable to resolve the problem with the other party or has opted not to make such an attempt, then the student should meet with the DRC coordinator to discuss the problem and possible ways to resolve the problem. The student should schedule a meeting with the DRC coordinator within 14 days of the event leading to the dispute.

If the DRC coordinator and the student are unable to resolve the problem, the student may file a written complaint with the dean of students. The written complaint must specify the nature of the dispute and any prior attempts to resolve the matter. The written complaint should be filed within 14 days of the meeting with the DRC coordinator.

The dean of students will conduct an investigation. As part of that investigation, the student and the other party may be asked to identify any witnesses and to submit any other evidence they wish to be considered. The dean will complete the investigation within 30 days of receiving the written complaint from the student, if practical.

If the student's dispute is with the Disability Resource Center coordinator, the student should file a written complaint with the dean of students.