Joint Program FAQs

How is the program coordinated between Rockhurst and UMKC?

There is a great deal of coordination behind the scenes on behalf of our students to make the program as seamless as possible.  The two institutions are in constant communication and coordinate class schedules, curriculum, advising, and an array of details.  Your UMKC courses are transferred automatically at the end of each semester into Rockhurst and your schedule is imported from UMKC to ensure there are no course conflicts in your schedule between the two schools.  Faculty and staff at both institutions provide support for the program, and are invested in ensuring the students have the best possible experience.

Is this program a 3+2 program? Do I earn a degree from UMKC?

The Rockhurst-UMKC Joint Engineering and Computing program is a 4-year program, not a 3+2 program.  You will receive a degree from Rockhurst; your transcript notates the Joint Program with UMKC.  Your degree is from Rockhurst, not UMKC. 

How do I find information about my UMKC classes? Location, times, etc?

You always check your UMKC information on Pathway ( You log in using your UMKC ID and Password that you received via email from UMKC when your application to the program was first processed.

How do I find the books I need for my classes at UMKC?

To find your books, access the UMKC bookstore website: Click on Textbooks and Supplies once you are on the site. Choose Shop and Compare. Click Agree. Under Term Name click Fall 2021, or appropriate semester. Under Department scroll and click MEC-ENGR, or appropriate subject. Under Course choose your course number 130, or appropriate number. Under Section choose both the lab and lecture section of the course that you are in. They should both then appear in Course List. Now click on Compare Prices on these Course Materials. The list of books should then appear as well as the options for buying them. You click the Add to Cart button and continue from there.

Do I need to have a Mac or a PC laptop computer?

Although a Mac will work, a PC is recommended.

Do I need to have a UMKC ID card?

Yes. You find all of the information at

How do I communicate with my UMKC professors?

You should always check your UMKC email as this is where you will see emails and information from your UMKC professors. It is possible to forward your UMKC email to your Rockhurst email if you wish.

Will I be able to stay in my Rockhurst housing during breaks when UMKC is still in session?

Yes. You need to contact housing well in advance to make them aware of this situation and check to see if the necessary arrangements have already been made. If they have not, contact the Rockhurst Engineering and Computing Program Director to help.

Do I have an advisor at both Rockhurst and UMKC?

Yes, and they serve slightly different roles.  You will have an official advisor at Rockhurst who will track your progress and make sure you are on path for graduation. During spring of your sophomore year you will be assigned an advisor at UMKC who is familiar with the curriculum and has subject matter expertise in your major discipline.  Your Rockhurst advisor is intimately familiar with the core requirements and the specific requirements you need for graduation, and should be consulted before any decisions, since your degree is awarded from Rockhurst University.

If I struggle in my classes at UMKC how do I find help?

You may look for help by visiting your instructor at UMKC and asking for help, and also seek tutoring options at UMKC.  Tutoring options vary by discipline – computer science offers free tutoring, engineering classes often have a TA who has office hours.  Also, the the Rockhurst Learning Center is an excellent resource, as we often have tutors available for UMKC courses. Other students in the program are also a great resource for help. Please make your advisor at Rockhurst aware of any class you are struggling in, and your advisor will also help you locate resources.

If I have accommodations at Rockhurst do they automatically transfer to UMKC?

No, you need to register separately with the UMKC office of Services for Students with Disabilities:

Do I use my Rockhurst swipe card to pay for food at UMKC?

No, the Rockhurst swipe is only useable at Rockhurst.

If I have taken AP Physics in high school does that count as the physics class I have to take in my freshman year?

No. AP Physics is not calculus-based and it is important that the physics you take as part of your engineering or computing major is calculus-based.

If I take most of my classes at UMKC in a particular semester, am I still considered a full-time student at Rockhurst?

Yes. Rockhurst considers both Rockhurst courses and UMKC courses towards your load each semester.

Do I receive any bills from UMKC directly?

You do not receive any bills from UMKC related to the courses you are taking. If you have a parking ticket, a library fine, etc., then you will be billed from UMKC directly and you will need to pay that bill.  If you receive a tuition bill from UMKC please contact the Rockhurst Engineering Program Director right away to have it resolved.

Who needs to take the Machine Shop Safety class?

All mechanical and civil engineering students need to take it before they begin classes in year three.

How do I make sure my Machine Shop Safety class is counted at Rockhurst?

You need to request that Metropolitan Community College (MCC) send an official transcript to Rockhurst so that it is officially entered on your record. This is the same step you need to do with any transfer course including any courses that you take at UMKC over the summer. You do not need to do this for UMKC courses during the fall and spring semesters, as those grades are automatically sent to Rockhurst.

How do I pay for my Machine Shop Safety class?

You pay Metropolitan Community College directly.

Are Rockhurst students eligible for UMKC’s fifth-year masters program?

Yes, we are currently working on developing an official agreement.

Is it possible to double major?

If you are a Computer Science major, yes it is possible, especially to double major in Applied Mathematics.  Other majors may have less overlap and may require more time. If you are a Civil, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering major your schedule is completely full with just required major classes and core classes, so it is generally not possible to double major and graduate in four years. However, if you are bringing in many credits, taking summer courses, or planning on staying for five years, then it may be possible, particularly with a double major in Applied Mathematics or Physics.

Are joint program students eligible to take a class at UMKC using KCASE?

No, at this time it is not possible.

Can I take engineering and computing classes at UMKC if I am not in the Joint Program?

No, at this time it is not possible.