Parent FAQs

Rockhurst University is dedicated to providing equal opportunities for everyone. As such, the Disability Resource Center coordinates services for students with disabilities and acts as their advocate to help make life on campus more accessible.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Will my child’s IEP/504 Plan or accommodations from a previous college automatically transfer over to Rockhurst?

Special education plans and previous accommodations do not automatically transfer. The DRC cannot guarantee the same accommodations that were offered to your child in high school or a previous college. However, we are happy to review that plan as part of their documentation as it shows a history of accommodations. For more information, please view this table.

Can I request accommodations for my child?

All requests for accommodations must come directly from the student.

If my child registers with the DRC will it show up on their transcript or diploma?

No. All DRC records are confidential and maintained within the DRC office. Their status with our office will not be printed on any of their academic records. 

Can my son or daughter sign a waiver that will allow me to speak with DRC personnel?

A college student can sign a FERPA release giving staff permission to share information with parents. However, please know that even with a signed release, staff generally only communicate with parents in the presence of the student. Also, students are required to handle any matters related to our office, including requesting accommodations and reporting issues. We do not work with the parent in place of the student.

How can I help my son or daughter who is struggling in classes even with accommodations?

Ask your student if they are using all of the accommodations granted. Encourage them to come to the DRC to ask for assistance. If accommodations need revising, the student is responsible for requesting any changes and providing documentation to substantiate those changes. Tutoring is also available through the Aylward-Dunn Learning Center.  

How will my child’s faculty members be notified of their accommodations?

Each semester, their accommodation letter will be sent through their RU email address. This letter will include the names of each professor and the class codes for the specific semester. The letter will include only their accommodations unless the student has directly requested that their disability also be listed. It is the responsibility of the student to provide their letter to faculty members. Upon the student’s request, the DRC will print letters for the student to pick up from our office.

What is the DRC's procedure for filing a grievance?

If a student has a dispute with a Rockhurst administrator, faculty member, staff member or other employee relating to disability services, including any complaint that the student has been discriminated against because of his or her disability, the student may follow these procedures:

Students are encouraged, but not required, to make a sincere attempt to resolve the problem through discussions with the other party.

If the student is unable to resolve the problem with the other party or has opted not to make such an attempt, then the student should meet with the DRC coordinator to discuss the problem and possible ways to resolve the problem. The student should schedule a meeting with the DRC coordinator within 14 days of the event leading to the dispute.

If the DRC coordinator and the student are unable to resolve the problem, the student may file a written complaint with the dean of students. The written complaint must specify the nature of the dispute and any prior attempts to resolve the matter. The written complaint should be filed within 14 days of the meeting with the DRC coordinator.

The dean of students will conduct an investigation. As part of that investigation, the student and the other party may be asked to identify any witnesses and to submit any other evidence they wish to be considered. The dean will complete the investigation within 30 days of receiving the written complaint from the student, if practical.

If the student's dispute is with the Disability Resource Center coordinator, the student should file a written complaint with the dean of students.