Associate Professor of Biology, Department Chair of Biology, Co-director of Biochemistry Program
St. Ignatius Science Center 220D
Courses: General Biology I, Biology for the Contemporary Scene and Biotechnology
My background and primary training is in baker’s yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae. As a graduate student and postdoc I studied chromosome behavior and transposable elements. During my time at Rockhurst, I have collaborated with several laboratories and included undergraduates in those collaborations.
- Collaboration with Dr. Scott Hawley’s laboratory at the Stowers Institute for Medical Research
- Students are working on the Rockhurst campus to map female sterile mutations in Drosophila melanogaster to specific chromosomal locations
- Project involves basic fly husbandry, genetic analysis, and bioinformatics
- Goals for this project include student-designed posters and publications at local, regional and national meetings
Summers 2003, 2004 and 2005 and spring 2013
- Collaboration with Dr. Michael Plamann’s laboratory at UMKC
- Several students received summer undergraduate research fellowships from Rockhurst to work at UMKC over the summer
- Students worked full time over the summer on cytoplasmic dynein mutations in Neurospora crassa, using genetic reversion analysis and cytology to analyze their results
- Dr. Ryan Elsenpeter in the biology department is continuing on with this research
Selected posters publications (BOLD indicates undergraduate student):
- Reversion analysis of cytoplasmic dynein heavy chain in Neurospora crassa: Laura Salem, Kelly Hagan, Robert Schnittker, and Mike Plamann. Poster presented at the Festival of Student Achievement, Rockhurst University, Spring 2009.
- Developing a Genetic Interaction Map of Cytoplasmic Dynein in Neurospora crassa: Laura Salem, Sarah Lamb, Robert Schnittker, and Mike Plamann. Poster presented at the Association of College and University Biology Educators National Meeting, 2007; Dubuque, IA.
- Relationship between RNA lariat debranching and Ty1 element retrotransposition LA Salem, CL Boucher, TM Menees - Journal of virology, 2003 - Am Soc Microbiol
- Suppressor analysis of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae gene REC104 reveals a genetic interaction with REC102 L Salem, N Walter, R Malone - Genetics, 1999 - Genetics Soc America