The Substance Abusing Student
We are all aware of the toll that abuse of alcohol and other drugs can take on individuals, families, friends, and colleagues. In a recent survey of college presidents, alcohol abuse was identified as the campus life issue of greatest concern. The costs are staggering-- in terms of academic failure, vandalism, sexual assault, and other negative consequences.
- Be on the alert for signs of drug abuse.
- Share your honest concern for the person.
- Encourage him/her to seek help.
- Get necessary help in instances of intoxication.
- Ignore the problem.
- Chastise or lecture.
- Encourage the behavior as just normal college behavior.
- Accommodate for the behavior. Experiencing negative consequences for one's choices is a powerful tool in helping to bring about change.