Co-ops & Internships
Looking for a snapshot on what being an intern is all about? Check out the article in the summer 2012 issue of RU magazine.
What is a co-op?
The Rockhurst University Cooperative Education Program (co-op) is a career-related program that allows students to earn academic credit for paid work experiences related to their degree program.
Benefits of Co-op Experiences
- Explore career options in an authentic work environment, while earning academic credit
- Enhance and reinforce academic learning by blending theory with practice
- Acquire career-related skills and knowledge under the supervision and direction of professionals
- Improve marketability for full-time, professional employment upon graduation
- Earn income to help defray educational and living expenses
- Undergraduate student who has completed a minimum of 60 credit hours
- Satisfactory academic performance (minimum 2.0 GPA)
- Ability to work a minimum of 120 hours throughout the semester
- Students may earn up to six (6) academic credits for paid work experiences related to their academic major by enrolling in a co-op course.
- Credit is awarded based upon the total number of hours worked during the co-op semester using the following formula: 1 credit/120 hours worked; 2 credits/240 hours worked; and 3 credits/360 hours worked.
- Students will receive a grade for the co-op course based upon the completion of several course assignments and work performance.
- Non-credit/non-paid experiences are also available.
- Obtain a co-op program application from Career Services =or download and print and return to Shelly Oliver.
- Schedule an appointment with the co-op program coordinator to discuss interests and how to begin the search process.
- Upon securing a position, schedule an orientation meeting with the co-op program coordinator to enroll for the co-op course and to prepare for the work experience.
Co-op and Internship Position Listings
Students may search a current listing of available co-op and internship positions via their RU Career Account.
The RU Career Account is a web-enabled database that assists Career Services in bringing employers together with students and alumni. The database contains an up-to-date listing of career opportunities with local, regional and national employers, so students are encouraged to frequently access their accounts.
Employers also utilize the database to search for student resumes and to schedule campus interviews, so it is highly beneficial for students to upload and publish their resumes via the system’s resume books.
Internship Guides to Assist with Starting Your Search
If you want to search for co-op/internship opportunities in other parts of the country, you can access listings through other Jesuit colleges and universities. To find out what other Jesuit career services offices may be able to you, contact Mike Theobald at 816-501-4861.
Once You Land a Position
to make the most out of your opportunity.
Get Your RU Career Account
Register for an account by attending one of these weekly registration workshops in Massman 3:
- 3:30 p.m. Tuesdays
- 10 a.m. Wednesdays
- 1 p.m. Thursdays