Orientation Coordinators are charged with the planning, programming and implementation of the orientation program. Each Coordinator is slotted into four different categories: staff and training, programming, registration/logistics/publications and special events.
The following Orientation Coordinators were selected by the Student Life Office during the fall semester through an application, recommendation and interview process. In addition they utilized the semester to begin the initial phases of the planning process. It is a two year commitment position.
Welcome to RU! We look forward to meeting you at orientation and please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions.
Meet your orientation coordinators
Claire Burns, elementary education major from Omaha, Neb.
- Campus involvement: Orientation Coordinator, Christian Life Communities, RAKERS, Student Alumni Association, service immersion trips, lector for Campus Ministry, Karaoke for a Cause core team, intramurals, women’s soccer (2 years) and Learning Center tutor.
- What I love about Rockhurst: The environment that Rockhurst provides makes learning a very comfortable experience that allows for a strong sense of community to form.
- Advice to new students: “dance, sing, floss and travel (and go to class)”
- Favorite quote: “Sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage, and I promise you, something great will come of it.” - We Bought a Zoo
Maggie Beacom, economics major from Omaha, Neb.
- Campus involvement: Orientation Coordinator, Student Alumni Association, Greek Life and Student Ambassador
- What I love about Rockhurst: Getting to have lunch with Fr. Curran!
- Advice to new students: Keep your residence hall door open whenever you're in your room-it will help to meet your neighbors!
- Favorite quote: "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." Neale Donald Walsch
Danny Duggan, Spanish and psychology major from St. Louis, Mo.
- Campus involvement: Orientation Coordinator, Student Ambassador president, Christian Life Communities coordinator & leader and Retreat on the Rock coordinator
- What I love about Rockhurst: Besides all the wonderful human beings here, I think Fr. Peter-Hans Kolvenbach's, S.J. words etched on the side of the bell tower are real solid.
- Advice to new students: Buy a cookie twister; it'll change your life.
- Favorite quote: “Spread Love everywhere you go, let no one come to you without leaving happier." Mother Teresa
Marcelo Fernan III, pre-law and Spanish major from Debu City, Philippines
- Campus involvement: Orientation Coordinator, Student Alumni Association, Student Senate, Student Ambassador, Campus Ministry, Christian Life Communities, retreat leader and Greek Life
- What I love about Rockhurst: Working on things at the pergola by the bell tower, it’s just a beautiful sight and knowing that it’s the place “Where Leaders Learn”.
- Advice to new students: Try your best to not take an 8 a.m. class; college time is different from real world time.
- Favorite quote: “Like the dude from Journey said, ‘don’t stop believing’, unless your dream is stupid then go find another one.” Kid President
Ryan Marian, marketing major from St. Louis, Mo.
- Campus involvement: Orientation Coordinator, Greek Life, Voices for Justice and Student Ambassadors
- What I love about Rockhurst: Greenlease Art Gallery openings, wasting afternoons in the Fishbowl, Hawk Wild Week cups, The Public House and Karaoke for a Cause.
- Advice to new students: Be committed to excellence and strive for the Magis. And eat lots of cookie twisters.
- Favorite quote: "Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." Barack Obama
Alan Ratermann, English, theology and Nonprofit Leadership Studies major from St. Louis, Mo.
- Campus involvement: Orientation Coordinator, Running Club, Student Senate President, Campus Ministry, Christian Life Communities, Ambassadors and Greek Life
- What I love about Rockhurst: The community sense of belonging I feel both in and out of the classroom
- Advice to new students: Don’t be afraid of change.
- Favorite quote: “I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Maybe both are happening at the same time.” Forrest Gump
Alex Schelble, biochemistry and Spanish major from Omaha, Neb.
- Campus involvement: Orientation Coordinator, varsity tennis, Greek Life, Phi Delta Epsilon, Honors Program, Pre Med Scholars and supplemental instructor
- What I love about Rockhurst: I love Rockhurst because I can't walk to class without seeing someone I know and the professors really want us to succeed.
- Advice to new students: Find your passions and get involved right away. I think that's the best way to meet new people and get connected to Rockhurst.
- Favorite quote: "In a gentle way you can shake the world." Gandhi
Helen Schultz, elementary education and Spanish major from St. Louis, Mo.
- Campus involvement: Orientation Coordinator, Greek life, Christian Life Community, and contemporary music at Mass
- What I love about Rockhurst: friendly faces, free activities and Jane's delicious Oreo twisters
- Advice to new students: live in the present. Don't wish you are an upperclassman already because freshman year is great! Also, take advantage of all the free stuff that Rockhurst offers, like Senate midnight breakfast, Social Mentors and S.A.B. Turkey dinner.
- Favorite quotes: "Everything will be ok in the end, if it's not ok, it's not the end." John Lennon
Elliott Wityk, biology major from Springfield, Mo.
- Campus involvement: Orientation Coordinator, varsity baseball, Greek Life, Student Athlete Advisor Committee and Partners in Prevention.
- What I love about Rockhurst: I love the small class sizes, location in Kansas City and the fact that athletes can get involved in organizations outside of their sport.
- Advice to new students: I feel like all the advice new students receive is cliché’ So… bite off more than you can chew! Spread yourself thin with your involvement in clubs, organizations, events etc. Now is the time to live with zero regrets, and you won't know until you try!
- Favorite quote: "Everyone told Van Gogh he would never become a famous artist... You know what he said? I can't hear you." - Chazz Michael Michaels (Will Ferrel), Blades of Glory