How much does the insurance cost?
The cost for the health insurance changes every year as well as the policy. The cost for the 2014-2015 policy year is as follows:
If you are a full-time undergraduate (12 credit hours or more) or full-time graduate (9 hours or more) student.


8/01/14 - 7/31/15

8/01/14 - 1/12/15

1/13/15 - 7/31/15

6/1/15 - 7/31/15

Student Only:















Spouse and Children:





If you are a part-time undergraduate or graduate student, accelerated option, post-baccalaureate, DO/MBA, MBA/PHY or any other type of Rockhurst student:


8/01/14 - 7/31/15

8/01/14 - 1/12/15

1/13/15 - 7/31/15

6/1/15 - 7/31/15

Student Only:















Spouse and Children:





How long does the coverage last?
The policy terms are renewed every year at the beginning of the fall semester where price and coverage terms may change. The 2014-2015 policy coverage is as follows:
Annual: from Aug. 1, 2014, to July 31, 2015
Fall: From Aug. 1, 2014, to January 12, 2015
Spring and Summer: from Jan. 13, 2015, to July 31, 2015
Summer: from June 1, 2015, to July 31, 2015

What does it cover?
The plan covers doctor's visits, hospital expenses, surgeon's fees, tests and procedures, emergency room, and maternity care. Coverage includes inpatient and outpatient medical care and surgical coverage, with unlimited coverage. The plan also covers well woman exams and physical wellness examinations once per year, 100 percent of PPO allowance. There is a prescription coverage with a $20 copay for generic and $40 for brand name prescriptions. There is also $7,500 of coverage for intercollegiate sports injuries. Immunizations such as hepatitis B, hepatitis A, MMR, tetanus, meningitis, HPV and influenza are covered at the University District Medical Care, Goppert Trinity Care or a Cigna healthcare provider.

What is not covered by the insurance policy?
Please see the complete list of limitations and exclusions on the brochure.

Am I covered if I travel?
Yes. is a national PPO network with providers all over the U.S. For a list of participating providers near you, please contact Cigna at 800-997-1654. If there are no participating providers where you are, you will be covered 80 percent of usual and customary charges, after the $250 deductible and $25 co-pay.

How do I find a PPO network provider?
You can find a list of participating PPO network providers on the website or by calling Cigna at 800-997-1654. If you see a provider within the network you will be covered 80 percent after a $250 deductible per year and $25 copay per injury or sickness within the policy limitations. If you choose to see a provider outside of the network you will be covered 60 percent after the $500 deductible and $25 copay within the policy limitations. Both the copay and deductible are waived when visiting the University District Medical Care clinic and Goppert Trinity Family Care where you will be covered 100 percent within the policy limitations.

How do I get my prescriptions filled?
Prescription coverage is through the ScriptCare pharmacy network. You can use your card to get prescription filled with $20 copay for generic and $40 for brand name. If you do not have your card or for any other reason had to pay for the prescription, send ScriptCare a copy of the itemized bill with this reimbursement . A list of is available as well as a list of chain pharmacies.

Are immunizations covered?
Most immunizations are covered 100 percent if received at University District Express Care and Goppert Trinity Family Care.

When will I receive my insurance card?
Your insurance card is available online at the Summit America website or the website.

If you have any problems with your insurance card, please contact Summit America and let them know what the problem is and they will assist you in resolving it.

How do I get a new ID card if I lose my card?
You can print an ID card on the health services website or stop by Massman Hall, room 1.

How do I contact the insurance administrator?
You may call 1-877-246-6991. You may also visit their website at Summit America an Ascension Company. Inquiries may also be submitted to: Debbie McFarlane

I heard that full-time undergraduate and graduate students are required to have the student health insurance offered via Rockhurst. Is that true?
Full-time undergraduate students carrying 12 or more hours and full-time graduate students carrying 9 or more hours, including Research College of Nursing students, are required to have the plan or provide documentation of their current valid health care using the online waiver/enrollment process by the waiver deadline of Aug. 29, 2014, for the fall semester, or Jan. 23, 2015, for transfer and new students beginning in the spring semester. Waivers must be submitted online .

What are the benefits of having student health insurance in addition to the coverage already offered by my employer/parents/spouse?
The University negotiated a comprehensive and affordable student health insurance plan for Rockhurst students with Summit America. Given the benefits offered for the cost, this is a great way to address health care costs for injuries and sickness as well as to help pay for care during periods of medical crisis.

I am a part-time, post-bacc, accelerated option, Executive MBA, DO/MBA or MBA/PHY student. How can I sign up for the student health insurance plan?
If you would like to enroll, please download and print the , and return it to Summit America, P.O. Box 25936, Overland Park, KS 66225. Please include payment by check or credit card with the . You may use the online system from June 23, 2014 - Aug. 29, 2014, for the fall semester or from Nov. 10, 2014, to Jan. 23, 2015, for the spring/summer semester.

Is there any coverage offered for dependents? If so, how do they get enrolled and how much does it cost?
Summit America does offer coverage for dependents. A dependent is a spouse residing with the insured student or the insured student's unmarried children under the age of 19 or to age 25 if they are full-time students at an accredited school. Please see the for a full definition of dependents. If you would like to enroll a family member please contact Debbie McFarlaneat 913-327-0200. 

I received a bill from the lab/doctors' office. What do I do?
Fill out a claim form, attach your bill and return it to the address located at the top of the claim form. Make sure you include your name, ID number, mailing address, group and policy number. You can get a claim form from the Summit America website.

What is my group and policy number?
Your group number is “302-020-2412”. Your unique insurance ID number is your Rockhurst student ID number.

Does my financial aid help pay for my student health insurance charge?
Yes, as long as there is enough financial aid to cover the health insurance charge.

How do I get reimbursed for a prescription payment I made?
Complete a and mail it to Scriptcare with a copy of your insurance card and a copy of the itemized bill.

Who do I contact with a coverage or claims question?
You may call Summit America, the claims administrator at 1-877-246-6997. You may also visit their website.

I'm an international student studying at Rockhurst, do I need to purchase the health insurance plan?
All international students are required to purchase the University sponsored health insurance plan.