The First Year Experience (FYE) at Rockhurst is designed to facilitate your transition to the University and it’s tradition of Jesuit education. Our hope is that through Rockhurst experiences, you will engage at every level of the university and be reminded time and time again of the 5 learning goals for your first year. These experiences will facilitate your progress towards becoming an educated person by connecting you with the people and resources of Rockhurst. They will also help in developing your learning skills and encouraging self-reflection. The outcomes you can aspire to are academic, personal and spiritual success! Through these three seminar courses each class exemplifies the following learning goals.
FYE 5 Learning Goals
- Students will understand Rockhurst University’s mission and consider how they might respond to its call.
- Students will examine and enhance their academic skills.
- Students will become familiar with healthy habits and reflect upon how their choices affect their mental and physical wellbeing.
- Students will explore possible majors, minors and careers in light of their gifts and passions and develop an understanding/ appreciation for the Liberal Arts Core Curriculum.
- Students will develop constructive relationships with faculty, staff and fellow students, and will become familiar with campus resources.