The Rockhurst University Department of Education, part of the School of Graduate and Professional Studies, prepares teachers for success in their chosen fields of study, to be knowledgeable and competent in the craft of teaching, and to use well-informed perspectives to influence policies and practices. We develop educational leaders—teachers who are actively engaged in educational matters as reflective practitioners—who will be well prepared to assume a variety of roles in K-12 schools and other organizations.
The Rockhurst Advantage
We're proud of our strong undergraduate and graduate education programs. Consider these important program traits when deciding where you’ll earn your degree.
- Here, you’ll learn from the best. Our faculty are all experienced teachers and/or administrators in K-12 schools.
- Classes are small. This means more one-on-one time with our incredible professors in the classroom and in the mentor setting.
- A Jesuit education sets you apart. Develop professionally and personally in our Jesuit tradition.
- Expand your horizon. At RU, you are connected to professionals throughout Kansas City and beyond. Student teaching can be completed in the Kansas or Missouri metro areas.
- You’re not alone. When the time comes to search for a job, we consider it a team effort.
- Our program provides flexible entry points. Start taking classes in the fall, spring or summer semesters.
- Conceptual Framework (PDF) – This is the foundation for our fully accredited (PDF) education programs. It focuses on moral reflection, teaching for social justice and providing a liberal treatment of subject matter.
- Electronic Student Portfolio (PDF) – The culminating experience for your personal educational philosophy.
Interested in our undergraduate education programs? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Those interested in our Master of Education degree program need to contact Cheryl L. Hooper, Director of Graduate Admission at 816-501-4097 or Cheryl.Hooper@rockhurst.edu.