Occupational Therapy Requirements
Occupational Therapy Admissions Requirements
Applicants to the Occupational Therapy Education program must demonstrate the following to be considered for admission:
- Completion of a bachelor's degree at an accredited university in a discipline other than occupational therapy.
- A minimum cumulative, natural science, and prerequisite coursework GPAs of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) is recommended.
- Completion of all prerequisites by the end of the spring semester prior to beginning the program.
- If you are an international student applying form a non-English speaking country, please also submit TOEFL score of at least 79 internet based test.
- Professional references – three required.
- Personal essay.
- Observation hours – two different OT settings for a total of 16 hours.
- Completion of all materials in the online application (OTCAS.org).
- Participation in a personal interview.
Points of Acceptance into the Program
The Occupational Therapy Education Program accommodates multiple points of acceptance for interested students. For the Rockhurst undergraduate student, these include Freshman Pre-Admission, the Occupational Therapy Scholars Program, and regular acceptance during the final year of undergraduate coursework. Post-baccalaureate students from any accredited university may be accepted at any time during the year for the next occupational therapy class.
Students from accredited universities are welcome to apply to Rockhurst University. Typically, students apply while in the last year of their undergraduate degree with a plan to enter the graduate program upon completion of their undergraduate degree.
Early Admission – For Rockhurst University Undergraduate Students
Students may enter the OT program as a Freshman Pre-Admission student, Occupational Therapy Scholars student, transfer student, or post-baccalaureate student. Students in all of these categories are required to complete the prerequisites.
- Freshman Pre-Admission
Exceptional students who plan to attend Rockhurst University for their undergraduate degree may be awarded a freshman early-admission guarantee for the Master of Occupational Therapy (MOT) Program based on a combination of ACT or SAT scores, high school grade point average and prerequisite courses. Students complete the application process before September 1st of their junior year at Rockhurst. Download and print* Pre-Admission criteria list (PDF)
- OT Scholars
Rockhurst students with outstanding academic work may apply for advanced admission status through the OT Scholars Program. To apply for acceptance into OT Scholars, students submit a letter of intent to the Occupational Therapy Program office at the beginning of their sophomore year. OT Scholars must achieve and maintain a cumulative and science grade point average of a minimum of 3.5. Students then complete the application process before September 1st of their junior year. Down and print* OT Scholars criteria list. (PDF)
- Transfer Students
Students transferring to Rockhurst may apply for pre-admission if they have completed two years of undergraduate coursework. To apply, the student submits a letter of intent to the Occupational Therapy Program office before the conclusion of their first semester at Rockhurst. Students then complete the application process before September 1st of the junior year. Download and print* Transfer criteria list. (PDF)
- Post-Baccalaureate Students
Students with a completed baccalaureate degree are encouraged to apply upon completion of the majority of the prerequisite coursework.
Students must have all prerequisite courses completed before entering the program. A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 is recommended.
- English composition (6)
- Foundations of speech (3)
- Statistics (3)
- Ethics (3)
- Abnormal psychology (3)
- Introductory sociology or anthropology (3)
- Developmental psychology (3)
- Introductory physics with lab (4)
- Biology with lab (4)
- Physiology with lab (4)
- Anatomy with lab (4)
- A minimum of 4 hours of anatomy must have been completed within the past 5 years.
Requirements are subject to change. It is the applicant’s responsibility to contact the Office of Graduate Admissions or the Department of Occupational Therapy Education to inquire if there are changes before submitting an application through OTCAS.
If you have questions whether a specific course(s) meet our prerequisite requirements, please contact Terry Forge, Director of Academic Advising.
Students at Avila University are eligible to apply to the Rockhurst Master of Occupational Therapy Program (MOT) and are eligible for early acceptance into the program. Students may apply in May of the preceding year of entrance.
- Professional references – three required
- Personal essay
- Observation hours – two different OT settings for a total of 16 hours