Health Care Leadership Program Benefits
The Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences' DO/MBA Dual Degree successfully integrates two professional curricula. Dual-degree students complete both degrees “on time” and walk across the graduation stage with other members of their KCUMB class, receiving both their Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree and a Rockhurst MBA diploma. Other important benefits of this new MBA degree are:
- Emphasis on practical skills development.
- Extensive use of contemporary health care examples, exercises, simulations, and live case studies.
- Frequent interaction with practicing Kansas City health care professionals as guest presenters and hosts for field visits.
- Continuous access to online course materials & internet search engines.
- Incremental development of a comprehensive business plan over three semesters, culminating in each student’s presentation of their business plan to a bank loan officer as if seeking funds for a new medical practice.
Graduates with a Rockhurst MBA in Health Care Leadership will be able to:
- Pursue best business practices & employ leadership techniques that contribute to high quality patient care.
- Apply appropriate considerations of legality, ethicality, and social responsibility to strategy formulation and business operations.
- Effectively use the “language of business,” and understand how business practices and processes work in concert to create efficient managerial systems.
- Understand how organizations and health systems function, and explore new governance models and best teamwork paradigms from a wide variety of industries.
- Formulate and implement a vision, mission, and business strategy in a way that fosters common purpose and teamwork.
- Identify & analyze issues; formulate & communicate plans; apply appropriate resources to accomplish tasks.
- Set up a practice with the flexibility to meet change and to take advantage of opportunities.
- Lead organizations to attract and retain excellent staff in a highly competitive job market; understand both legal and cutting-edge employment issues/concerns.
- Use technology, resources, and information in a way that maximizes efficiency and improves effectiveness.
- Apply self-management skills to practice medicine and manage organizations with insight, grace, and the ability to balance personal needs with the greater good of stakeholders.
KCUMB alumni and other working professionals may take Health Care Leadership courses on a space available basis in pursuit of a Rockhurst MBA with concentration in Health Care Leadership.