You may work up to 20 hours per week for RU in any job on campus, including the bookstore or food service. Before starting your job, however, you must consult Human Resources and the International advisor.

In some cases, students may apply for permission to work off-campus based upon economic necessity. You must have written authorization from International advisor and USCIS prior to obtaining employment.

Hours of Employment
All employment, whether on or off-campus, must not exceed a total of 20 hours per week while school is in session. During official breaks and holidays of more than one week in duration, you may work up to 40 hours per week.

Practical Training Employment
"Practical training" is work which is directly related to your field of study. Students that have complied with F-1 visa requirements may be eligible for two types of training: (1) "curricular practical training" during your studies and (2) "optional practical training" before or after completion of your studies. Such work may be performed anywhere in the U.S. You must make an application and be granted written authorization for practical training by USCIS before beginning employment.

For more detailed information on the different employment categories, please speak with an International advisor.

Holidays and Vacations
You may remain in the U.S. and be considered to be maintaining lawful F-1 status during holidays and vacation periods observed by Rockhurst, including summer vacations, provided 1) you are eligible and intend to register for the next school term (or the term immediately following a summer vacation), and 2) the "completion of studies" date in item #5 of your I-20 will not be reached before you resume your studies.


Within the U.S.
You may travel freely within the United States provided you maintain your lawful F-1 status and have your valid passport, I-20 and I-94 in your possession.

Outside the U.S.
You may leave the U.S. at any time. You may return to the U.S. provided you have 1) a valid passport containing an unexpired F-1 visa and 2) a new I-20 or one properly endorsed for re-entry. If you travel to Canada, Mexico or certain islands near the U.S., you may be eligible to re-enter the U.S. even if the F-1 visa in your passport has expired, provided you have a valid I-94, passport and I-20 to show the immigration inspector when you re-enter. Check with an International student advisor 3 weeks before travel.

Returning to RU
3 weeks before departing the U.S., take your I-20 and passport to International student advisor in the Office of the Registrar and request travel authorization. Please allow a minimum three-day processing time.

Returning to a Different School
You must obtain a new I-20 from your new school before you attempt to re-enter the U.S. Entering this country using an I-20 from a school you do not plan to immediately attend can cause serious immigration problems.

Length of Time You May Remain in the United States
You may study in your present educational program for the time allowed by Item #5 on your I-20. If you need additional time to complete your program and meet certain eligibility requirements, you may apply for an "extension" of your program 30 days before the completion date listed in Item #5.

Change of Study Program
If you complete one program and wish to continue your studies in another program at the same school, you are responsible to request a new I-20 which will reflect your new program of study. You must do this within 60 days of completion of your studies.

Coursework at a different School
If you wish to obtain a degree or certificate from your current school but want to take courses temporarily at a different school, you should consult with your international student advisor to determine if any special procedures must be followed to authorize this study.

Transfer to a different School
If you wish to cease study at RU and transfer to a different school, you must:

  • consult with an International student advisor before you transfer,
  • obtain a new I-20 from the school you wish to attend, and
  • submit the new I-20 to the international student services office at your new school within 15 days of beginning attendance at the new school.

Completion of Degree Requirements
Upon completion of degree requirements, you may have the right to 1) continue studies at your same school or a different school for another degree or certificate, 2) apply for up to 12 months of "practical training" employment or 3) take up to sixty days to depart the U.S. See an International student advisor early in the semester to discuss your options.

Failure to Comply with Responsibilities
If you fail to comply with your immigration responsibilities, regardless of intent, you may lose your student status and thus not be eligible for benefits normally granted to F-1 students.

Further Information
Additional information is available from the International Student advisor. We are pleased to offer information, counseling and assistance on all federal regulations related to maintaining your student status, and we wish you much success in your academic pursuits.