At a Glance
Catholic, Jesuit heritage
Rockhurst University is a Catholic, Jesuit university serving 3,000 students in the business and cultural heart of Kansas City. As one of 28 Jesuit universities and colleges in the U.S., Rockhurst is part of the largest network of independent higher education institutions in the nation. The Jesuit tradition ensures that Rockhurst graduates are prepared to lead, shape and change the world around us.
The liberal arts tradition
The Jesuit tradition of focus on individual dignity runs through the curriculum, which is based on the seven classical modes of inquiry: artistic, historical, literary, philosophical, theological, scientific relational and scientific causal.
Recognized as superior
Rockhurst University has been ranked among the top regional universities in the Midwest by U.S. News and World Report. In addition, recent surveys show that Rockhurst students rank their educational satisfaction among the highest in the nation.
Additionally, Rockhurst is the only institution in the Kansas City area to have earned the community engagement classification from the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Rockhurst is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association. The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association, 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604, 800-621-7440.
Rockhurst University and the Helzberg School of Management are also accredited by AACSB International, The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, 777 South Harbour Island Boulevard, Suite 750, Tampa, FL 33602, 813-769-6500.
- The Helzberg Executive Fellows MBA program, one of the first executive MBA programs in the nation, boasts an alumni list that includes more than 750 top leaders in major organizations throughout the Kansas City area and the nation.
- The 30-hour, AACSB-accredited Helzberg MBA program offers evening courses to accommodate work schedules, allowing students to complete the program in an average of two years. Students may choose the accelerated option to complete their MBA in just one year.
- Three master's programs and a doctoral program prepare professionals for work in occupational therapy, physical therapy, education and speech pathology.
- Rockhurst offers a wide variety of pre-professional programs. It is one of a select number of universities in the nation offering a degree for professionals interested in working in the not-for-profit sector through the Nonprofit Leadership Alliance Certificate program.
- Rockhurst University Continuing Education Center Inc., which owns National Seminars, is one of the nation's largest providers of adult continuing education nationwide.
- The Center for Arts and Letters brings to campus world-renowned visiting scholars and poets. It also sponsors films, gallery exhibits, and choral and theater performances.
- RU offers the region's only DPT/MBA and DO/MBA dual-degree programs.
Rockhurst University is an independent, nonprofit organization governed by a board of trustees. Trustees are elected by the board. The majority of the board's members are Jesuit-educated CEOs or top leaders in their organizations. A maximum of 30 members and two recent graduate trustees can serve on the board.
While more than half of Rockhurst's 25,000 alumni live in the Kansas City metropolitan area, every state in the United States and many foreign countries are influenced by the Rockhurst alumni who live there. Rockhurst graduates serve as executive leaders for major companies and organizations in Kansas City and throughout the country. Graduates become part of a network of more than 1.6 million Jesuit alumni in the United States.
Location and Facilities
Rockhurst's 55-acre campus is located just south of the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City's cultural and research district. The center of the campus is a picturesque quadrangle accented with large oak trees, surrounded by rustic stone buildings. Campus improvements in recent years include a new multi-use facility/parking garage, art gallery, student activities hall, expansion and beautification of the campus quadrangle, a bell tower, fountain, the Loyola Park sports complex and soccer field expansion.
The Rockhurst University Hawks have an outstanding athletic tradition. After many stellar years in the NAIA, the University recently joined the NCAA Division II. In the NAIA, the men's soccer team regularly made appearances in national championship tournaments. Since joining the NCAA, the baseball team has made it to the Final Four of the Division II World Series and the volleyball team has twice appeared in the Final 16. To find out more, visit Rockhurst Athletics.
Rockhurst has intercollegiate teams in men's baseball, basketball, soccer, golf and tennis; women's basketball, golf, tennis, softball, soccer and volleyball.
An average class size of 24 allows students access to faculty, who become caring mentors, and encourages rich classroom discussions. Rockhurst offers the following undergraduate and graduate degrees:
- Bachelor of Arts in 16 disciplines
- Bachelor of Science in 12 disciplines
- Bachelor of Science in Civil, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering (in partnership with UMKC's School of Computing and Engineering)
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or Information Technology (in partnership with UMKC's School of Computing and Engineering)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (joint degree with Research College of Nursing)
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration
- Executive Fellows Master of Business Administration
- Master of Occupational Therapy
- Master of Education
- Master of Science in Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Doctor of Physical Therapy/MBA dual degree
- Doctor of Osteopathy/MBA dual degree
• 3,000 students
• 70% undergraduates, 30% graduates
• 61% women
• 39% men
• 815 live on campus
• From 27 states and 8 countries
• A 13:1 student-faculty ratio fosters personal attention.
• Average class size is 24 students.
• Full professors teach freshman courses.
How to reach Rockhurst University:
Admission and Financial Aid: 816-501-4100 or 800-842-6776
Alumni Office: 800-756-ALUM